Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Spinach Soup


Spinach soup makes an excellent starter or light lunch. The fresher the spinach the better the end result. Unlike most of my recipes I don't think there is a great degree of flexibility with this soup. I've tried experimenting with the ingredients without much success. You can substitute the cucumber for onion and add a clove or half clove of garlic but it's hard to improve on this formula if you want a delicious spinach soup with a full authentic taste. The recipe will serve four people. Whenever possible I make double the amount of soup I need and freeze any extra to use later either as soup or as the base of a sauce or vegetable stock.


Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins

Ingredients:
3 cups spinach (chopped)
1 cup cucumber (chopped)
3 1/2 cup water
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp black pepper powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp ginger paste
2 tbsp lemon juice
Salt to taste

Method:
1. Put spinach and cucumber in a saucepan along with water and cook until tender on medium heat. Or pressure cook it (one whistle).

2. On cooling, blend it in electric blender to make smoothy paste.



3. Heat butter in a pan. Add black pepper powder, cumin powder, ginger paste, salt.
4. Add blended spinach-cucumber and lemon juice.Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.



5. Serve hot.

15 comments:

Tee said...

Your soup has a wonderful colour! I love spinach soup...delicious and healthy! I generally add a little bottle gourd and sometimes some cabbage to it...tastes good too :)

Athika said...

Hey thats a nice idea. I will definately try that the next I make the spinach soup. Thanks

amna said...

i am a total spinach lover! this looks really healthy!

Raaga said...

Nice :-)

I do that too... keep leftover soup as a base for curries :-)

Padma said...

Now thats what I call Innovation, simply delicious.....I guess as Raaga said we can use the leftover for curries....

Rajitha said...

healthy and delicious.. nice athika

Padma said...

hey Athika, tx for ur heartwarming comments, I was wondering why u didn't blog past one week, I always look fwd for one atleast each week :) Hope you are doing well!
love

Padma

Seema Bhat said...

Athika,
I am a soup lover and I make palak soup as well but my version is very very different from yours. I never could think about adding cucumber to this soup. Nice idea. Thanks buddy.

bha said...

soup seems to be of perfect colour....guess what, I too love SRK movies....just read it in ur profile

SMN said...

Hi Athika,

First time in ur blog nice blog u hv.. i hvnt tried spinach soup.. lovely combi. thnx for sharing

Chef Jeena said...

Hi there you have a great blog,lovely recipes. Feel free to visit my blog too :)

Jeena xx

Click Here For Food Recipes

Rasa Malaysia said...

I love the name of your blog...I can turn my house into a curry house anytime I love curries. :)

Shella said...

Hey Athika, I really like your blog. The soup is really good for the coming winters in Delhi. I am surely going to make it.

Viji said...

Nutritious Soup Athika. Viji

Anonymous said...

Really unique recipe, I havent reallu tried anything like this. I ll surely give it a try... n nice look also.. thanks.

Jaspreet