Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Vada

Vada is a prominent south-Indian appetizers/snack, and it is served in all important occasions with Idly, chutney and sambar.
I was born and brought up in south India. We make vadas all the time, almost every week. I learnt this from my mom. I know it is very easy to make, but Initially when I started making these I used to make them without any shape. Though they were not perfect in shape, they taste the same and they taste real good. Slowly, I tried and now I could do little justice to vadas.

Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time : 15 mins

Ingredients:
1 cup of split urad dal (More info on urad dal here, you can get it in any Indian store)
salt to taste
oil for deep frying

Method:
1. Clean, wash and soak the daal overnight.
2. Grind it into smooth paste.
3. Add salt to taste.
4. Heat the oil in the pan and keep it in medium high flame.
5. Drop a spoonful of batter in the oil and deep fry it till it is golden brown in color.
6. Place it on the paper towel to remove the excess oil.
7. Serve it hot with coconut chutney or corainder chutney.

No comments: